Author Ally Condie, whose novel, Matched, has been re-released by Penguin in honor of the book’s tenth anniversary. After its release in 2011, Matched was followed by the series sequels, Crossed and Reached.
This week’s Write the Book Prompt was generously suggested by my guest, Ally Condie, who advises taking your character (or yourself) on a walk into a wood. Ally says she is very loosely defining “wood”—a wood can be any grove or stand of trees. "This can be a desert bristlecone forest, a forest in the Amazon, a cold white Vermont forest, the pines up the canyon near where I live in Utah."
- Somewhere in this wood is a clearing.
- There is a bench.
- There is either fire, or water, or light, depending on what you or your character need most in this particular wood.
- Someone is waiting for you.
- Who is it?
- Sit down and talk to them.
- They will give you one thing.
- What is it?
- Will you take it with you?
Good luck with your work in the coming week, and tune in next week for another prompt or suggestion.
Music Credit: Aaron Shapiro