Gary Lee Miller interviews Yvonne Daley, Director of the Green Mountain Writers' Conference and author of five nonfiction books, including The Bend In The Road: Lenny Burke's Farm, published by Northshire.
This week's Write the Book Prompt was generously offered by Yvonne Daley. These are lines from people’s Instagram profiles. Use one or more as inspiration for a fictional piece with the line being the online dating or Instagram profile of your character. Alternatively, if you are writing nonfiction, what would someone in your piece write for their one-line description of him or herself. If you’re a poet, play with one or more of these self-descriptions in an ironic or wry manner as a way of commenting on contemporary communication.
- A man of mystery and power, whose power is exceeded only by his mystery
- Buoyant, waggish, efficacious, indefatigable, demiurgic, convivial marketing companion, self-made thousandaire
- Currently starring in my own reality show titled, A Modern Cinderella; One Girl’s Search for Love and Shoes
- Currently working towards an MBA with an emphasis in fantasy football
- Don’t think for a second that I actually care what you have to say
- Fabulous ends in “us.” Coincidence? I think not
- Generally, the path of least resistance appeals. Also, I am excellent at parallel parking.
- I always feel sad for seedless watermelons, because what if they wanted babies?
- I am an actor and a writer and I co-created my breakfast and my son, Malachai.
- I am coming back to face the reality that a normal day is not beer on the beach or calamari in the belly.
- I can quote (Insert movie) better than you and all your friends.
- Can’t remember who I stole my bio from or why
- I have not lost my mind – it’s backed up on HD somewhere.
- I have this new theory that human adolescence doesn’t end until your early thirties.
- I hope one day I love something the way women in commercials love yogurt
- I looked at my Instagram photos and realized I look beautiful.
- I once sneezed a beanie weenie through my nose. I also made a horse faint in Costa Rica.
- I only rap caucasionally
- I prefer my puns intended
- I put the hot in psychotic
- I recently gave up Warcraft so my productivity, and drinking, have increased dramatically.
Good luck with this exercise and please listen next week for another.
Music credits: "I Could Write a Book," by the Boston-based band, Possum.